Dancer Info, Rules & Entry Forms
PDF Forms (Entry Form, Song List, & Advertising)
Click on the following links to view PDF files with contestant entry forms, NSDC music preservation list, and NSDC program advertising form.
**Deadline for All Division applications (except Masters) is December 28th, 2014.
***Deadline for Masters Division applications is January 4, 2015 (by request of former Masters contestants the record length this years will be limited to 1 minute 30 seconds for all contestants)
Any person who has danced in a Professional Shag contest, specifically in the Competitive Shaggers Association. Masters and Seniors can enter this division. Must be 21!
No professional competitors! Novice, amateur and beginners who are 21 years of age and older and have never danced in any professional Shag contest!
MASTERS DIVISION (Invitational):
The female must be at least 49 years of age and the male 50 years of age, but with a total of at least 100 years combined. These ages must be reached by the last night of the finals in March. No novices or amateurs in this category. One dancer must be a Hall of Fame member. They will be judged by Hall of Fame Dancers. Judged on smoothness, togetherness and showmanship.
The female must be at least 49 years of age and the male must be at least 50 years of age by the last day of finals. Only pro dancers are eligible in this division.
JUNIOR DIVISION I:
14 years and under!
JUNIOR DIVISION II:
15-20 years of age!
Must be attending the college you are representing as of the date of the contest & must have never competed in a sanctioned shag contest
*All age requirements by the last night of the finals in March.
Categories (except Masters):
Smoothness – Degree of Difficulty – Togetherness – Execution – Repertoire
Smoothness – Togetherness – Style – Showmanship
Music Preservation List:
1. ANNIE HAD A BABY Hank Ballard & The Midnighters
2. AT LAST Tony Martin
3. BABY WORKOUT Jackie Wilson
4. BEG AND STEAL Strangers
5. BLUE MOON Nat King Cole
6. BOAT DOCK Ray Sharpe
7. BOOGIE WOOGIE KING Jimmy Liggins
8. BRING THE MONEY HOME The Orioles
9. BROKEN HEART The Fiestas
10. BUMP ON A LOG LuLa Reed
11. CANADIAN SUNSET Mills Brothers
12. CHICKEN SHACK BOOGIE Amos Milburn
13. CHONNIE-ON CHON James Brown
14. CLUB SAVOY Rockin’ Louie and The Mamma Jammers
15. COME BACK MY LOVE The Wrenns
16. COME GO WITH ME The Federals
17. COULD IT BE YOU The Four Tops
18. CRAZY, CRAZY, CRAZY The 5 Royales
19. CRY TO ME Solomon Burke
20. DONUT AND A DREAM Mills Brothers
21. DON’T CRY ON MY SHOULDER Sam Cooke
22. DON’T YOU LIE TO ME B. B. King
23. DREAM Five Keys
24. DRINKIN’ WINE (Spodee Odee) Larry Dale
25. DRIP DROP Drifters
26. DRIVE DADDY DRIVE Little Sylvia
27. DRIVE IT HOME Clovers
28. EXACTLY LIKE YOU Aretha Franklin
29. FLAMINGO Earl Bostic
30. FEEL SO GOOD Shirley and Lee
31. FINE BROWN FRAME Lou Rawls and Diane Reeves
32. FOOLS RUSH IN Etta James
33. GREEN EYES The Ravens
34. GIVE ME YOU Billy Ward & The Dominoes
35. GOOD ROCKIN’ Jr. Walker
36. HARD HEARTED WOMAN Eddie Burns
37. HAVE MERCY BABY Dominoes
38. HEARTBREAK (I’TS HURTIN’ ME) Little Willie John
39. HEY BARTENDER Floyd Dixon
40. HEY GIRL Lucky Carmichael
41. HEY SENORITA The Penguins
42. HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE Huey Piano Smith & The Clowns
43. HOLE IN THE WALL Floyd Dixon
53. HONKY TONKY The Drifters
54. I CRY The Cadets
55. I FEEL THAT OLD FEELING COMING ON James Brown
56. I HEAR A RHAPSODY Earl Bostic
57. I JUST WANT TO LOVE YOU Ivory Joe Hunter
58. I KNOW IT’S HARD BUT IT’S FAIR The 5 Royales
59. I USED TO CRY MERCY MERCY Lamplighters
60. I WANT A LOVE I CAN SEE Temptations
61. I WANNA KNOW Lloyd Sims
62. I’D BE SATISFIED Dominoes
63. IF I COULD HOLD YOU Melvin Moore
64. I’M TORE UP Billy Gayles
65. IN THE MORNING TIME Clovers
66. IT WON’T BE THIS WAY (ALWAYS) The King Pins
67. IT’S A DOGGONE CRYING SHAME Ivory Joe Hunter
68. JUST A GIGOLO Louis Prima and Keely Smith
69. JUST ONE LOOK Doris Troy
70. JUST TO SAY HELLO Jesse Belvin
71. LAY IT ON THE LINE The Dominoes
72. LET ME GO HOME WHISKEY Leroy Little
73. LET’S HAVE A PARTY Amos Milburn
74. LITTLE QUEENIE Chuck Berry
75. LONELY TEARDROPS Jackie Wilson
76. LOOK WHAT YOU DO TO ME Snooky Pryor
77. LOVE OF MY LIFE The Quails
78. LOVEABLE LILLIE Lillian Leach and The Mellows
79. MAKE IT BE ME The Flares
80. MAY I Maurice Williams and The Zodiacs
81. MORNING, NOON AND NIGHT Joe Turner
82. MOVE ME BABY Jimmy Witherspoon
83. NIGHT AND DAY Earl Bostic
84. NIP SIP The Clovers
85. NO SWEET LOVIN The Drifters
86. ON THE STREET WHERE YOU LIVE The Drifters
87. ONE MINT JULEP The Clovers
88. ONE SCOTCH, ONE BOURBON, ONE BEER Amos Milburn
89. OUTSIDE OF PARADISE Ray O Vacs
90. OVER THE RAINBOW The Checkers
91. PLEASE DON’T GO Floyd Dixon
92. POISON IVY Willie Mabon
93. ROCK AND ROLL WEDDING Hank Ballard and The Midnighters
94. ROCK GRANNY ROLL Hank Ballard and The Midnighters
95. ROCKIN’ ALL THE TIME Roy Brown
96. RUB A LITTLE BOOGIE Champion Jack Dupree
97. SADIE MY LADY The Drifters
98. SATELLITE BABY Roosevelt Sykes
99. SAVOY BOOGIE Jimmy McCracklin
100. SEPTEMBER IN THE RAIN Brenda Lee
101. SEPTEMBER IN THE RAIN Dinah Washington
102. SEXY WAYS Hank Ballard and The Midnighters
103. SHAKE, RATTLE AND ROLL Joe Turner
104. SH-BOOM Chords
105. SHE FELT TOO GOOD Jimmy McCracklin
106. SHUT YOUR MOUTH B. B. King
107. SICK AND TIRED LuLa Reed
108. SIX TO EIGHT Sticks McGhee
109. SIXTY MINUTE MAN Billy Ward and The Dominoes
110. SLOW BOAT TO CHINA Ronnie Dove
111. SMOKEY PLACES The Corsairs
112. SOMEBODY TOUCHED ME Ruth Brown
113. STAGGER LEE Lloyd Price
114. STAND BY ME Ben E. King
115. STREET WALKING WOMAN T-Bone Walker
116. SWEET SUE Big Joe Turner
117. TA TA Clyde McPhatter
118. TAKIN’ CARE OF BUSINESS Freddy King
119. TEARS KEEP TUMBLING DOWN Ruth Brown
120. THANK YOU JOHN Willie Tee
121. THE DEACON MOVES IN Little Esther & The Dominoes
122. THE WAY YOU LOOK TONIGHT The Jarmels
123. THERE GOES MY BABY The Drifters
124. THERE’S NO TOMORROW The Clovers
125. THINK The 5 Royales
126. 39 – 21 – 40 SHAPE The Showmen
127. TIME MAKES YOU CHANGE Dells
128. TONIGHT AND FOREVER The Whirlers
129. TOO LATE Five Keys
130. TOO MUCH LOVIN’ The 5 Royales
131. TRUE FINE MAMA Little Richard
132. TUNE UP Jr. Walker
133. TWO HEARTS Otis Williams and The Charms
134. WEE BABY BLUES Joe Turner
135. WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES Esther Phillips
136. WHAT ABOUT YOUR DAUGHTER J. B. Lenoir
137. WHEN LOVE IS NEW Arthur Prysock
138. WHITE CLIFFS OF DOVER The Checkers
139. WHY DON’T CHA STOP IT Buddy and Ella Johnson
140. WITCHCRAFT Jesse Belvin
141. WOE IS ME The Cadillacs
142. YOU NEVER HAD IT SO GOOD The Checkers
143. YOUR CASH AIN’T NOTHIN’ BUT TRASH The Clovers
144. YOUR DADDY’S DOGGIN’ AROUND Todd Rhodes
145. YOU’RE IN LOVE Five Vets
146. YOU’RE THE BOSS Jimmy Ricks & Lavern Baker
147. ZING WENT THE STRINGS The Coasters
148. HOUSE PARTY Amos Milburn
149. CORRINA CORRINA Big Joe Turner
150. FINGER POPPIN TIME Hank Ballard & Midnighters
151. MAMA HE TREATS YOUR DAUGHTER MEAN Ruth Brown
152. LOVE CONTEST Ruth Brown
153. FIVE, TEN, FIFTEEN HOURS (5-10-15) Ruth Brown
154. I’M IN LOVE AGAIN Fats Domino
155. SICK & TIRED Fats Domino
156. LA LA Fats Domino
157. LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL Louis Jordan
158. DOLLAR DOWN Louis Jordan
159. SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL The Drifters
160. WHITE PORT LEMON JUICE Bel Aires
161. HONEY HUSH Big Joe Turner
162. MAMA DON’T LIKE Smiley Lewis
163. WALKIN MY BABY BACK HOME Nat King Cole
164. DON’T LEAVE ME FANNIE Royal Jokers
165. BOOT EM UP Du Droppers
166. AIN’T GETTING CAUGHT 5 Royales
167. NOT GOING TO CRY 5 Royales
168. HOW BLIND CAN YOU BE – Goldie Boots & The Falcons
169. DIDN’T I TELL YOU – Tommy Hunt
170. YOU – Frankie Lymon
171. MY BUDDY DONE STOLE MY CHIPPEE – The Playboys
172. FAVOR FOR A GIRL WITH A LOVESICK HEART – Brenda Halloway
173. MONEY – Clifford Curry & The Five Pennies (Savoy label)
174. WHAT TO DO – The Drifters
175. WHEN I GET LUCKY – Floyd Dixon
176. THAT WOMAN – Hank Ballard
177. FARE THEE WELL – Hollywood Flames
178. OOKY OOK – The Penguins
179. DOUBLE CROSSIN BABY – The Robins
180. I’VE GOT YOU UNDER MY SKIN – Ethel Ennis
181. IT’S ALL RIGHT YOU’RE JUST IN LOVE – The Tams
182. DEAR LOVER – Mary Wells
183. MOVE ON DRIFTER – Baby Washington
184. JUDGEMENT DAY – Floyd Dixon
185. GET WITH IT – THe Flamingos
186. HEARTBEAT – The Chords
187. HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN ANGEL – Tavares
188. THAT’S HOW I FEEL WITHOUT YOU – Sonny Til & Edna McGriff
189. SHAME ON ME – The Ramblers
190. DON’T BE ANGRY – Nappy Brown
191. MY GIRL IVY – Jimmy Witherspoon & The QQuintones
192. MR BIG WHEEL – Jimmy T-99 Nelson
193. I AIN’T DRUNK – Jimmy Liggins
194. CRAZY MIXED UP WORLD – Little Walter
195. BE FAIR – The Pipes
196. MY BABY JUST CARES FOR ME – Nina Simone
197. TRY – The Miller Brothers (1958 Mercury label)
198. LOVERS PRAYER – Vernon Greene & The Medallions
199. TOWER OF STRENGTH – Gloria Lynne
200. WHAT AM I GONNA DO – Chuck Jackson
201. I LIKE IT LIKE THAT – 5 Royales
202. FLAMING LOVE – The Gardenias
203. YOU’RE THE ONE – 5 Keys
204. GOOD LOVIN – The Clovers
205. YOUNG AND IN LOVE – Ruby & The Romantics
206. SAY WHEN – The Four Tunes
207. TRY A LITTLE TENDERNESS (SAX INSTRUMENTAL) – Willis Gatortail Jackson
1. Non-Pro winners upon their next nationals will dance in the Senior or Pro divisions.
2. To enter Pro or Senior division one member of the couple must have moved to Pro status. This means they may have reached Pro status
3. Records must be brought to the 4:00 p.m. Finals & Prelims meetings with N.S.D.C. form. Forms will be turned in. Contestants will dance one record from the Preservation List Thursday, one record Friday and one record on Saturday if in the final cut. Masters dance Friday & Saturday night. Length — 3 minutes each night. Prelims – Friday- 2 minute record with required steps & a 2 minute record on Saturday night for Prelim competitors and all finalist competitors. (** Only exception is the Master division which by request of the past contestants the record length will now be limited to 1 minute 30 seconds.)
4. Attendance at the pre-contest meeting is mandatory by at least one of the competing partners.
5. Should there not be enough qualified dancers in either Junior division then both shall become one division. The overall Junior award is given to the couple placing the highest of both divisions.
6. Masters Division — The female must be at least 49 years of age and the male at least 50 years of age by the last night of competition. Their combined age must be at least 100 years of age. Age is not the only criteria. They also must show they have “mastered” the artistry of the dance through their dancing career. One of couple composition must be an inducted member of the Shaggers Hall of Fame.
7. Each couple will be composed of one male and one female.
8. Judging for the Preliminaries and the Finals will be the National’s placement system.
9. Scoring for Finals will be cumulative for Judges’ final decision — all three dances (two for the Masters) will decide Judges’ championship placement.
10. The overall winner from Pro, Non-Pro, Juniors and Seniors Divisions will be determined by the judges ranking the divisional winner #1- #4 in preference.
11. Any contest rulings will be governed by a majority vote of the N.S.D.C. Board of Directors.
12. The entry fee is $75.00 per couple. Make checks payable to the National Shag Dance Championships.
13. Juniors must not have reached their 21st birthday by the last night of competition for Division II and not reached their 15th birthday by the last night of competition for Division I.
14. The Nationals committee reserves the right to disqualify or give a year’s prohibition — disallowing him/her to compete the following year (s) for exemplifying un-sportsman-like conduct.
15. The entry deadline is listed at the bottom of the application form. Application and entry fees must be in the hands of the Nationals by the deadline, not postmarked by that date. Any applications received late will be returned, no exceptions.
16. Requirement steps – Compulsory! – For 1st Round – Friday night (Prelims) and Thursday night (Finals), Masters are exempt – The following shag steps must be done by male and female at the same time:
Basic – Facing each other.
Pivot – full
Duck Walk – on one foot, the other – male and female simultaneously.
Boogie Walk – kick and boogie, boogie – male and female simultaneously.
Belly Roll – at least one complete belly roll; with male lead (his left on a 1-2
count, then 3-4 count on his right, then 5-6).
Judging auditors (2) will check off requirement steps.
For each step not performed – each judge’s placement will drop the couple one position for the first night’s score. Example: If a judge places you third and you omit the belly-roll and a pivot, you would be placed fifth on the judge’s ballot.
17. Each dancer is limited to dance in one division.
18. Senior Division – The female must be at least 49 years of age and the male must be at least 50 years of age by the last day of finals. Judged on smoothness, togetherness, repertoire, execution and degree of difficulty.
19. N.S.D.C. Board and Committee members are eligible to enter any division, but will not serve on “The Judges Selection Committee”.
20. A list of classic shag recordings is available to all Pro, Non-Pro, Seniors and Juniors to select from for their Thursday night requirements record. The list was selected by many Disc- Jockeys in order of preference #1 – #25 and the top 173 comprise the list. The list is on this website. Dancers may fax or e-mail their Thursday night letter of preference ASAP (prior to sending in their application). NO record will be danced to more than two times on that night. The first faxed or e-mailed times and dates will be the couples to use the record. This is to avoid hearing the same record more than twice.
21. When a Non-Pro dancer wins his or her third C.S.A/S.P.A (combined) contest they move into the Pro Division of the Nationals even if they have not danced Pro in C.S.A or S